Capacity Building of Partner Cooepratives and Promotion of Cooperative Promotion Centre in Surkhet
Inclusive Development of the Economy (INCLUDE) Programme aims to improve the structural framework for balanced and socially inclusive economic growth. Through strengthening local capacity for entrepreneurship development, development of selected value chains and supporting public private dialogue, the programme intends to contribute to improving employment and income-generation especially for the poor and disadvantaged groups including women. Based on the previous experiences of the project, Cooperatives are identified as proper channels to implement the project activities and hence reaching the goals. The project has plans to enhance local capacities for entrepreneurship development in Pyuthan, Dang, Surkhet and Kailali districts. Similarly, the programme has planned to strengthen value chains of honey (in Dang, Surkhet, Kailali), medicinal and herbal plants including ginger (Pyuthan, Surkhet), Milk (Dang) and Vegetables and fruits (River Bed Farming in Dang) through the cooperatives. Similarly, the programme has plans to establish ‘Cooperative Promotion Centre’ in Surkhet (SCPC) district, replicating the experience in Chitwan district.
The programme has expected that the provision of efficient services from the cooperatives will motivate the community people to initiate the enterprises that fall under the selected value chains. In this context, the programme has identified immense needs of providing training to the cooperatives on cooperative management and value chain development, cooperative education, business plan development, financial management, account keeping and proposal/report writing.
Centre for Microfinance Nepal and the INCLUDE/GIZ has made an agreement to provide capacity building services to the selected cooperatives in the program districts during June- November 2012.
2. Goal : Improve the structural framework for balance and socially inclusive economic growth
Specific objectives of this assignment are to:
· Organize different training programmes for partner cooperatives to enhance their institutional capacity
· Set up a cooperative promotion centre in Surkhet district, which would support development of cooperative sector in the district
4. Expected Results
· Delivered 10 events of training and separate reports with clear process, contents, participants evaluation and trainers comments
· Established Cooperative Promotion Centre in Surkhet within premises of Division Cooperative Centre Surkhet
5. Project Partner: GIZ